23 Jan Increased fire risks

With temperatures falling below freezing point in London in early January the city’s brigade issued a strong warning about the dangers of fire being caused by electrical heaters.

Figures released at the start of the month showed that fires that had started in  heaters had led to seven deaths and 152 injuries in the last five years.

The reports said fires typically started when blankets and clothes were left too close to or on top of heaters or heaters are placed too close to armchairs, sofas or beds.

Dan Daly, Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety at London Fire Brigade, said: “It’s tempting to pull heaters close to you when the temperature drops but blankets and duvets or other material getting too close to heaters is a dangerous fire risk.

“Shockingly over two thirds of fatal fires involving heaters are caused by clothing or furniture being too close.”

ShareTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Facebook0Share on LinkedIn0