Discarded cigarette was the culprit

13 Sep Discarded cigarette was the culprit

Dubai Police have said a discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire which engulfed 38 flats at the Torch Tower in Dubai Marina in the first week of August.

Major-General Abdullah Khalifa Al Marri, Commander-in-Chief of the Dubai Police, said the cigarette butt landed on a pot of plant in a balcony below, which caught fire. The blaze then spread to the cladding on the high-rise building.

He also revealed the police investigation involved an experiment at their headquarters where a burning cigarette butt was thrown into some plants to see how quickly such a fire would spread.

ShareTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Facebook0Share on LinkedIn0